Adventures of a FAB Fabric Mailer: Part 2

For those of you who read the first post on my DIY fabric mailer envelope, here is your update as promised!

It made it!

My lovely sister-in-law was gracious enough to email me some pictures of its condition when it arrived and it looks like it did really well. She said it had some pink markings on the fabric from the postal stamp but we won’t tell her that may have actually been from my daughter messing around with pink chalk near my fabric. I had stuffed it with some sidewalk chalk and a little bug box for my very inquisitive niece and nephew to keep and examine any bugs they deemed “pet” worthy. Here they are opening the package.

mailer made it

So now that we know a fabric mailer will successfully make it through our postal system, it’s time to do a little how-to. Feel free to watch the video below on the making of a new mailer. I have a feeling I am going to make a boat load of these. I mean, what a great way to send a gift. It’s really easy to make, and it’s reusable, so the recipient can send someone else a gift as well!

A few notes to add: I lost my videographer at some point (see: kids needed hubby and I was on my own) so I didn’t get to show the entire project but I think you got the idea. I also decided after the video was made that I wanted to reinforce the edges of the window with some bias tape on the inside, to make it look neater and give it a little more strength. Another difference from the first mailer was that I didn’t double roll down the top flap to close it. Instead I added Velcro to the inside of the window pocket to keep it shut.

Here you can see the two pockets and you can see where the address paper is slipped into the window pocket.

That’s one of my large laundry bags folded up and packed in there!

And here are a couple more pictures just because I love these fabrics. They are so bright and cheery!

Thanks for reading and watching! If you have any questions about how this was made, comment below!

***Update as of July: I have now successfully sent fabric mailers out five times and my sister-in-law sent hers back to me successfully as well. I’m preparing to do a craft fair in a few months and I’m thinking about selling sets of these as “fabric stationary envelopes” (probably in sets of three). Would you buy and use fabric mailers? What would you send in them?***

30 Comments on Adventures of a FAB Fabric Mailer: Part 2

1. Elle @ Erratic Project Junkie
    April 6, 2015 at 4:29 AM (2 years ago)

This is so incredibly cute! I love the bright fabric, too. I would never have thought of doing something like this, but I am so going to give it a whirl now. Thank you so much for visiting my blog so I could come find you!!

April 6, 2015 at 11:25 AM (2 years ago)

Thank you so much! If you make one, let me know how it goes or send me a pic. I would love to see how it turns out! Your A=Z blogging challenge is looking great, by the way! Thanks for checking out my blog!

2. homewithcharlie
    April 6, 2015 at 8:38 AM (2 years ago)

Wow! It looks fabulous, and a lot more environmentally friendly than the bubble mailers that we get here in Australia! Might try it out next time I need to send a parcel of goodness.

April 6, 2015 at 11:13 AM (2 years ago)

You’re right! Definitely more environmentally friendly and it really was cheaper to make it than to buy one. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

April 6, 2015 at 1:39 PM (2 years ago)

Great tutorial!! I love this idea and am ready to reuse mine. Your sense of “what if” and “could I” is an encouragement and a challenge to me. Fabulous!

April 6, 2015 at 10:06 PM (2 years ago)

I can’t wait to find out if your makes it another round! You have a fantastic sense of “what if” too! My girl has a perfectly fitted bed sheet thanks to that!

4. Angela McKinney
    April 7, 2015 at 12:28 AM (2 years ago)

So cute! I really like that fabric. I should get back into sewing. Thanks for sharing at #HomeMattersParty

April 7, 2015 at 12:30 AM (2 years ago)

Thanks, Angela! And thank you for stopping by my blog!

5. ashandcrafts
    April 7, 2015 at 2:21 AM (2 years ago)

This is so cute! Getting non-bill-related mail is so exciting, and getting something in this would be even more awesome! Love the fabric you chose too!

April 7, 2015 at 2:30 AM (2 years ago)

Thanks! It’s true, I love getting snail mail that isn’t a bill. So much technology these days, which is great, but I do miss the days when I would actually write letters and get letters from friends. I’ll definitely be making more of these and sending them around! Thanks for stopping by!

6. Jennie
    April 7, 2015 at 11:49 PM (2 years ago)

I just LOVE this! I so love sending and receiving snail mail and this is such a creative idea to make the letter/package extra special. Thanks so much for sharing! :)

April 8, 2015 at 12:49 AM (2 years ago)

Thank you, Jennie! I love snail mail, too and I’m so glad I found your site as well and found out it is letter writing month! And thanks for visiting and tweeting!

7. jenna
    April 8, 2015 at 9:28 PM (2 years ago)

Yayyyy I’m so excited it made it…I gotta try it now!!!!

April 8, 2015 at 9:43 PM (2 years ago)

Let me know how it works out, Jenna! Take pics before you send it along!

• jenna
        April 8, 2015 at 9:47 PM (2 years ago)

I surely will….I’m thinking make it to mail cards (birthday or whatnot) then once they get it it could double as a cosmetic bag for their purse or a pencil case for the kids…something

8. Ashley @ 3 Little Greenwoods
    April 11, 2015 at 6:16 PM (2 years ago)

I’m scared of my sewing machine but I love this super cute and fun idea for a mailer! Great tutorial!

Thanks so much for sharing on Show Me Saturdays!

April 11, 2015 at 6:35 PM (2 years ago)

Thanks, Ashley! And thank you for giving me the opportunity to share!

9. Cheri Oggy
    June 23, 2015 at 8:57 AM (2 years ago)

This is wonderful project! I make envelopes all the time out of paper; however these are much nicer!

June 24, 2015 at 7:51 AM (2 years ago)

Thank you, Cheri! These are fairly easy to make, too. I am actually out of them because I used them to send some Etsy sales and a gift. You have reminded me now that I need to make some more! Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

10. Kristen from The Road to Domestication
    July 31, 2015 at 9:33 AM (2 years ago)

So you can actually MAIL these with the US Postal Service?! WOW! That’s amazing! And SO much cuter than a regular envelope! Thankful to have you as a co-host at the #HomeMattersParty !

11. Amanda @ Momily Homily
    August 1, 2015 at 5:06 PM (2 years ago)

Cute idea! Are you in an RV in that video. You really do travel around a lot. :) It’s been great co-hosting the #homemattersparty with you during the month of July. I can’t believe the month is already coming to a close.
    Amanda @ Momily Homily recently posted…Home Matters Linky Party #48!My Profile

August 16, 2015 at 7:49 AM (2 years ago)

Yes, I was in an RV! We actually lived in it for about a year way out in oilfield country in West Texas. We do travel quite a bit, but usually to many of the same places. We are in North Texas now and staying with in-laws for a while and I sometimes miss living in the little trailer! Great co-hosting with you!

12. Sarena @ Teal Inspiration
    August 2, 2015 at 12:47 AM (2 years ago)

This is awesome! I can’t believe these actually make it through the postal system but how cool is that? I would totally use these. They’re adorable and would be really fun for sending gifts in. It’s been great co-hosting the #HomeMattersParty with you!
    Sarena @ Teal Inspiration recently posted…Spring Color PaletteMy Profile

August 16, 2015 at 7:52 AM (2 years ago)

Serena, I have been amazed that they have made it through the mail, too, because every time I go to mail one, I get weird looks and comments from the postal workers at the post office! They are really fun to make and send and I love that the recipient can use them to store other things if they want to keep them! Great co-hosting with you also!

August 16, 2015 at 7:54 AM (2 years ago)

Thanks, Melissa! If I can sew, anyone can! You should give it a try sometime. Great to be co-hosting with you!

13. Lorelai @ Life With Lorelai
    August 3, 2015 at 5:48 PM (2 years ago)

Such an amazing idea, and the styles are endless…LOVE it! Thanks for sharing and co-hosting at the #HomeMattersParty – we appreciate you! :)

~Lorelai
    Life With Lorelai
    Lorelai @ Life With Lorelai recently posted…Home Matters Linky Party #48My Profile

August 16, 2015 at 7:57 AM (2 years ago)

Thanks, Lorelai! I know, I love that you can personalize the mailer to fit the recipient’s personality or to even match their gift! Great to be co-hosting with you!

14. Jane @SustainMyCraftHabit
    August 4, 2015 at 3:45 PM (2 years ago)

This is so neat! I’m surprised it made it jthrough the mail system: I’d be worried that the contents might get misplaced?

We’re are really enjoying co-hosting the #HomeMattersParty with you!

August 16, 2015 at 8:07 AM (2 years ago)

Jane, even though I have sent quite a few of these successfully, I still worry about that and almost always send them with tracking but so far no issues. I recently modified one to include plastic in the window to really keep it good and closed but I don’t even think it was necessary. I do get strange looks from postal workers, but so far (fingers crossed) no issues! Great co-hosting with you!