Homeschooling: Sea Life and Doodle’s Ave

A few months ago, the hubby and I headed to Fort Worth, TX for our very first homeschool convention. I felt like a kid in a candy store, except a little overwhelmed by all the “candy.” There was so much to look at and learn – a million different curriculum stands, tools for sale, and lectures I wanted to hear. I had a list of vendors I wanted to visit, after, oh, I don’t know, about 4 years of research. How old is my daughter, you ask? Um…moving on.

*I need to tell you at this point that this post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on the links and purchase any of the products, I’ll receive a small commission, however the opinions are my true opinions and mine alone.Believe me. I love this stuff!*

I was surprised at how many vendors were there that I had not heard of considering how much time I had spent Googling all things homeschool related. As we walked through the convention, one stand caught my eye because of the vendor’s name. Our daughter’s nick-name since the very day she was born, has been Doodlebug. And there they were: Doodles Ave. I didn’t know what they were but I knew I was going to check them out, just for the name. Two lovely ladies sat behind the stand, which was full of beautifully illustrated coloring books with vibrant covers. After a short chat, we found out that one of them actually did all the illustrations in the books herself, and after sorting through the books, we decided to grab a packet of three coloring books for our doodle: Doodles Sea Life Coloring Fun, the Doodles Animal Kingdom Coloring Fun, and the Doodles Lone Star State Coloring Fun. They came with a four pack of crayons in a cute little box that could also be colored. Of all the stuff we picked up that day, the Sea Life coloring book has been, by far, the doodle’s favorite item.

Sea Life Coloring Book

Why are these books so great? Let me give you an example. She opens up to a page in her sea life coloring book and on that page is a fun picture to color and some information. Not too much – just enough. Take a look at the Sea Horse page she colored. It has the picture, the habitat, the diet, and a fun fact about the sea horse. She colors, we talk about the animal, and then most of the time, she asks me to see a video of the animal (her idea, not mine). She always wants to see how it moves, how it eats. The books spark her curiosity and there is nothing better than that!

Sea Horse Coloring Page

Fast forward a few months to our current visit with family in New Jersey. Our awesome cousin offers to take us to Adventure Aquarium in Camden because she has a membership there. Now, some of the sea creatures my doodle colored and learned about came to life before her eyes! Since my daughter is only 4, I do not have a wealth of experience in the area of homeschooling, only, like many parents, a vision. In my vision I see enthusiasm, excitement and anticipation for what comes next. I see curiosity in my kids’ eyes. I know we have a tough road ahead and that there are going to be days that may not look like the vision I have, but I am encouraged now, because I know it’s possible.

See any resemblances?

Jellyfish

seahorse collage

And while we’re at it, let’s touch a stingray (also in the book)!

IMG_0517

What kind of encouraging homeschooling experiences have you had? If you don’t homeschool, would you consider it for your children?

You can find me in some awesome link ups listed HERE!

25 Comments on Homeschooling: Sea Life and Doodle’s Ave

April 20, 2015 at 1:11 PM (1 year ago)

Those coloring books are beautiful. So glad you are enjoying the adventure. I think we are a little more than 7 years into this homeschooling adventure. Favorite memories with my girl – watching my daughter dance about receiving her new math book, listening to her attempt to learn languages that I do not yet know, being able to teach her to cook, sew, and knit because we have time. Favorite memories with my boy – using Little People to explain elections & debates, listening to him explain in detail to a friend a lesson I wasn’t sure he was listening to, listening as he is beginning to read, delighting as he learns the rules and history of football because we have time to explore the interest. For me, I LOVE learning so much with them. At least once a week, I have a major AHA moment with something that I should have learned already. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not all roses and sunshine – we struggle, we get frustrated. But it’s SO worth it.

April 20, 2015 at 1:24 PM (1 year ago)

Elizabeth, your homeschooling experience and knowledge is SUCH an encouragement to me! Anytime I am asked to give reasons for why I want to homeschool, I give many reasons, two of which are your children! :)

• Elizabeth
        April 20, 2015 at 4:08 PM (1 year ago)

awww, make me sniffle this morning :)

2. Brandyn Blaze
    April 20, 2015 at 2:23 PM (1 year ago)

I love your enthusiasm for teaching your child! Those coloring books are so cool, anything that sparks a child’s curiosity is a winner in my book!

Thank you for sharing with us at #MommyMeetupMondays! Hope to see you again next week!
    Brandyn Blaze recently posted…Mommy Meetup Mondays Week #20My Profile

April 20, 2015 at 2:25 PM (1 year ago)

Thank you, Brandyn! And thank you for providing the opportunity to share!

April 20, 2015 at 3:43 PM (1 year ago)

I know, Stephanie! I love her illustrations and think they are perfect for this type of coloring book! She’s very talented. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

3. Colletta
    April 21, 2015 at 12:37 PM (1 year ago)

How great it is that she got to see the real life creatures and learn more about them! That is making memories :)

Thanks for stopping by Colletta’s Kitchen Sink!

Colletta
    Colletta recently posted…Family Time ~ Pizza Making ~ 4/21/15My Profile

April 21, 2015 at 12:40 PM (1 year ago)

She really enjoyed it, too! Learning + having fun is definitely a winning combination. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Colletta!

4. Raising Samuels
    April 21, 2015 at 7:28 PM (1 year ago)

Homeschool conventions are so much fun and I understand the being overwhelmed, but it is a good overwhelmed! Thanks for sharing this product. I will have to look into it because I am a homeschool Mom also. Have a great week :)
    Raising Samuels recently posted…10 Earth Day Freebies for KidsMy Profile

April 21, 2015 at 8:28 PM (1 year ago)

We definitely had so much fun and will be going back next year (hopefully I will not be as overwhelmed next time around having been to one now)! If you wind up getting any of those coloring books let me know how your kids like them. Something about them just stood out to my daughter when she saw them and she gets excited to color in them every time I pull them out as an activity. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

5. Stacey
    April 21, 2015 at 8:08 PM (1 year ago)

I love those coloring books! We have a small sealife center just two hours south of where I live in Seward, Alaska and we try and take the boys there every year. My oldest will be nearly 3 this summer and I can’t wait to see what he thinks this year.
    Stacey recently posted…Respect and the Tiny HumansMy Profile

April 21, 2015 at 8:36 PM (1 year ago)

I’ll bet he will love it at 3 years old and have great memories. It’s such a great trip to take as a family! Thank you for visiting and commenting!

6. Lux Ganzon
    April 22, 2015 at 1:54 AM (1 year ago)

Aw, I remember my preschool days (boy, that’s ages ago!). I believe it’s important to encourage children to bring out their creativity and not limit them. :)
    Lux Ganzon recently posted…Where Is Your Arrow PointingMy Profile

April 22, 2015 at 7:22 PM (1 year ago)

Absolutely do important, you’re right. The time goes so fast with them, doesn’t it! My oldest is only four but the last four years have just flown by! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

7. My Life As A Mummy
    April 22, 2015 at 7:15 PM (1 year ago)

My son goes to school, he started last September. It is the right environment for him. However if there were any problems I would have him out of that school in a heartbeat and teach him at home.

Funnily enough, he went to the local Aquarium today as part of their term project. He had a blast.

Thank you for linking up with the #WeekendBlogHop

Laura x x x
    My Life As A Mummy recently posted…Wordless Wednesday // 22.04.15My Profile

April 22, 2015 at 7:32 PM (1 year ago)

I love that education can look so different from one family to another and be catered to what works for the individual family and child. The aquarium is so much fun. If we had one near where we live I would definitely consider getting a membership. Thanks for stopping by and commenting and thanks for hosting the #WeekendBlogHop!

8. Rebecca
    April 23, 2015 at 9:08 AM (1 year ago)

Thanks for linking up to the #MMWBH with this interesting read! I have always considered homeschooling my son and reading these kind of posts makes me wish I had even more! :)
    Rebecca recently posted…Beautiful Blog Photos with Panasonic Cameras!My Profile

April 23, 2015 at 11:00 AM (1 year ago)

I am really glad that homeschooling has become an option many parents even consider these days. Even if you don’t do it, that you would consider it means you support the idea of it for those who do choose it which is awesome! Thanks for reading and commenting, Rebecca!

9. Jules Ruud
    April 26, 2015 at 6:41 PM (1 year ago)

Oh, I love this! Looks like you are on the right track to homeschooling success! How awesome to have a child with such a yearning to learn and even more awesome that you are supporting in her way of doing it too! Great job mama! Thank you for sharing at #MommyMeetUpMondays.

April 26, 2015 at 9:55 PM (1 year ago)

Thanks so much! We definitely are having a fun time with our homeschooling adventures so far! Thank you for reading and commenting!

10. Lorelai
    April 27, 2015 at 11:58 PM (1 year ago)

How fun! Coloring books always spiked my kids interest! My daughter did some homeschooling with a dual enrollment so she could do extra curriculars on campus throughout high school and she loved it! Thanks for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty – we hope to see you again next week. :)

~Lorelai
    Life With Lorelai

April 28, 2015 at 3:29 AM (1 year ago)

Thanks for stopping by, Lorelai! And thanks for hosting the link up. Will be seeing you there again soon!

11. Debs @ Super Busy Mum
    April 28, 2015 at 6:58 PM (1 year ago)

Those colouring books look ace and what kid doesn’t enjoy sealife eh! Thanks for linking up! #MMWBH
    Debs @ Super Busy Mum recently posted…Siblings – April!My Profile

April 29, 2015 at 1:05 PM (1 year ago)

Indeed! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!