Sewing in a Small Space: Room Organization Ideas

You know those beautiful pictures on the internet of huge sewing rooms with endless shelves of fabric organized by color, multiple sewing machines (each with its own purpose), and notions displayed in brightly colored, adorable handmade organizers throughout the room? Those rooms where everything has a convenient spot out in the open and nothing ever has to be stored away? Do you have a big room that you are looking to fill and decorate for your sewing and crafting? If so, you’ve come to the wrong place, my friend! Today, I am going to show you how I sew and craft in a room that is quite possibly smaller than your closet – a room that also has to double as a play room, homeschool room, office and a little one’s bedroom. The room I call: The Everything Room.

Everything Room

*A quick note before we go on that this post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of those links and make a purchase, I will receive a commission, however the opinions stated here are my absolute true opinions. Now that we got that out of the way…*

The only thing harder than trying to stay organized and get my sewing done in a place like this is trying to get some sewing done while traveling. Yes I tried that, too. I took the kids to New Jersey for two weeks to visit my family and borrowed a sewing machine from my aunt. It’s a good thing, too, because I got an Etsy order while I was there (and now this newbie Etsy shop owner knows how to set vacation mode)! So I set up shop in my mom’s dining room and made a laundry bag for a buyer, and this wine tote for my mom just for fun:

wine tote

Sometimes I just need to try to freehand something and this one came out pretty well considering it was done without a tutorial or a pattern. My mom loves wine so I thought it would be a nice gift for her. Perhaps I should make a tutorial out of this one, no?

Back to the everything room. Seriously, sewing is not a hobby you pick up if you are trying to save space but I really wanted to do this so I had to figure out a way to organize my supplies such that they could be stored away easily and would not be too inconvenient to take out. So these are the sewing room organization ideas I came up with:

sewing supplies packed

See those black expandable file folders? Those hold fabric, like this:

Expanding File Collage

And that tackle box. That holds notions, like this:

Sewing tackle box

See this thing right here? If you don’t have a lot of surface space and you like to do small projects like I do, this is perfect. One side is for ironing, the other for cutting. You don’t need to have an ironing board out taking up space. Brilliant. This is called the Quilter’s Cut’n Press and you can get it right HERE if you think it’s cool.

Cut N Press Collage

Another cutting mat I have is this swivel mat, also fantastic for small spaces. Put your fabric down and leave it. Do your cutting and when you need it at another angle for the next cut, just swivel. In a room where there isn’t much space for me to move around, this works wonders! My daughter colored on it with marker the very day I purchased it, so now mine has an identifying mark. Yay. You can get your own unblemished rotating cutting mat HERE.

Swivel Mat Collage

I’m not going to lie and say things don’t get messy sometimes, but when used as it was meant to be used, this system is great for my small space.

Where do you do your crafting? Do you have any tips for sewing in a small space?

You can find me linkin’ up at some awesome linky parties HERE!

Grab button for The Evolution of Mom

24 Comments on Sewing in a Small Space: Room Organization Ideas

1. Jenna
    April 24, 2015 at 6:44 PM (2 years ago)

I really wanna get back into sewing again. I used to sew some of my daughters pageant outfits. This post has some nice ideas.
    Jenna recently posted…GOD TOLD ME TO FIGHT FOR MY HUSBAND!!!My Profile

April 24, 2015 at 6:51 PM (2 years ago)

Thanks, Jenna! I really am glad I started sewing. I couldn’t be bothered with it for most of my life (too distracted by other things) but it has been so much fun learning and it’s one more thing I can pass on to my kids hopefully. Thanks for visiting!

April 24, 2015 at 7:23 PM (2 years ago)

I am thrilled to have the space you know now at my house. But, it used to share Z’s room with the queen size guest bed. So, I had ironing board at the end of the bed, sewing table at the side, and the bed for my pile space. This was well and good until company was coming….projects just did not finish quickly. My new space is FABULOUS, though I can’t close a door on it any more so I have to (SHOULD) keep it tidier. As I look over my shoulder, I need to do something about that before my wonderful husband gets home from work tonight. (He likes things tidy.) I think it’s time for another fabric clean out. I am WAY impressed with what you accomplish in your space :)

April 24, 2015 at 9:25 PM (2 years ago)

“Fabric Cleanout” means project time! The doodle found a dress that she loves in her old closet here with the grandparents as we visit and has been asking to wear it non-stop (I think a friend of yours made it? I don’t know why I think that but it seems to ring a bell). Simple light blue bodice and white skirt, zipper in the back. She loves it. I am going to need to learn to sew this style. Very soon. :)

• Elizabeth
        April 25, 2015 at 2:42 AM (2 years ago)

Hmmmm, cannot place it right now. Email me a pic because I’m trying very hard to remember :)

3. Melinda
    April 25, 2015 at 12:26 AM (2 years ago)

WOW!! I’m “sew” impressed that you do all that in one room!!!
    I have a corner of the living room, that was supposed to be the dining room. SO, I need to keep it straight. But Do I????
    Love the file storage, tackle box, and the swivel cutting board. I want it!!

• Melinda
      April 25, 2015 at 12:27 AM (2 years ago)

oops! Forgot to say I’m here from #HOmeMattersParty
      Melinda recently posted…the “c” wordMy Profile

April 25, 2015 at 12:56 AM (2 years ago)

LOL! I will never get tired of “sew” puns. They make me “sew” happy! A corner of the living room is great! Dining rooms can be a little overrated as actual rooms for “dining” when you already have a kitchen. Seriously, the swivel board is the best! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

April 25, 2015 at 1:24 AM (2 years ago)

Before the tackle box, I had things in plastic zip lock bags and even just some plastic grocery bags. It was no good. Glad to be of help! And thanks for visiting and commenting!

April 25, 2015 at 12:39 PM (2 years ago)

Thanks, Marni! Clutter is such an issue for us and I have found that having a place for everything is so important in such a small space, but I also have just had to relax about it a little and accept that at certain times (like when I am in the middle of a project) it will just be cluttered and that’s okay as long as it is not constantly like that. Thanks so much for visiting and commenting!

4. Rae
    April 25, 2015 at 12:39 PM (2 years ago)

I’m lucky enough to have a semi-dedicated sewing room; it’s my spare bedroom for guests and is really big, but sadly not very well organised… yet! But I’m getting there, slowly

I’d love you to do a tutorial for the wine tote pease! I’ve been thinking of making one for a fellow wine lover, but am not really sure where to start!
    Rae recently posted…A Sari State to be in!My Profile

April 25, 2015 at 12:43 PM (2 years ago)

That’s all I needed to hear, Rae. It’s as good as done then because I really want to make another one with my own sewing machine and supplies. Thanks for commenting!

5. carla
    April 25, 2015 at 1:29 PM (2 years ago)

Everything looks so organised!
    #weekendbloghop

April 25, 2015 at 2:31 PM (2 years ago)

Thanks, Carla! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

6. Melissa Vera
    April 27, 2015 at 3:44 AM (2 years ago)

Wow I am envious of your set up. I wish I knew how to sew. Thanks for linking at #HomeMattersParty this week. Hope to see you link back up next week.

April 27, 2015 at 1:08 PM (2 years ago)

Thanks, Melissa! Glad you liked the set up and thanks for visiting and reading!

7. Amy Ngai
    April 27, 2015 at 4:51 PM (2 years ago)

Wow, really impressive. the tackle box is key! This reminds me to get my sewing stuff organized. Thanks for sharing at the #ConfessionsLinkUp
    Amy Ngai recently posted…The Importance of Having a WillMy Profile

April 27, 2015 at 5:27 PM (2 years ago)

Thanks for checking out the post, Amy! Glad you like the tackle box idea. It really has been so helpful!

8. Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage
    May 6, 2015 at 1:53 PM (2 years ago)

Hi Nicole,
    In response to your comment about Make Do and Mend at Harvest Lane Cottage, it takes time to mend that I don’t always want to take. ~smile~
    It helps a lot, though.
    I have a cut and press that I enjoy.
    I loved your idea for the fabric file.
    My things are in a closet. I usually sew on my table. Since everything is put away, I don’t tend to sew as much as I would if it weren’t such a hassle to get things out.
    Blessings,
    Laura

May 6, 2015 at 2:05 PM (2 years ago)

I agree, Laura! If I could keep my sewing supplies out in the open all the time, I know I would sew even more than I already do. We are having an extended visit with family right now and my in-laws have a room for me to keep my sewing stuff out in the open and it is SO nice. I can just walk in there and start sewing, no need to pull anything out of storage. I still use my fabric file folders, though! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

9. Ashley Perez
    June 16, 2015 at 12:38 PM (2 years ago)

I love organization. 😀

June 17, 2015 at 10:33 AM (2 years ago)

Me too! I wish I could be as organized in all areas of life as my sewing stuff is!