A DIY Double Wine Tote For Mother’s Day

Gift giving can get so tricky sometimes, don’t you think? I know I can’t be the only one who feels this way. I spend so much time trying to figure out something special and perfect to give that I take too long to pick something, then rush around trying to find ANYTHING so I can get it to the person on time (and very rarely succeed).

I’ve started to think about giving gifts a little differently in the recent past. We all head to the store and spend whatever amount of money we can to purchase a gift, and sometimes holidays are just a great big exchange of stuff that each person could have purchased for themselves. It’s still nice to give those gifts, but I really want the people I love to know they mean more to me than a trip to the store. Don’t get me wrong, if I know there is something at a store that will be the perfect gift, I have no problem doing that, but if not, why not make something? It just seems so much more personal and thoughtful. And it means I gave that person something very valuable to me: my time.

While I was visiting my family in New Jersey recently I made this wine tote:

wine tote

My mom loves a good bottle of wine and since wine tasting has become one of her favorite hobbies, I thought a wine tote would be perfect for her. I wanted it to hold two bottles, not one, because we have a big extended family and often when traveling somewhere, she brings more than one bottle with her.

I liked the way it turned out but made a few tweaks to the method for this tutorial because I wanted it to look more specifically like a wine tote and not just a bag. I also wanted it to look “gifty” (no, it’s not a word, but it should be). Finally, I wanted to make it simple: a gift anybody with a sewing machine can whip up quickly if the mood strikes.  So here you have the new and improved, “gifty”, simple wine tote:

DIY Double Wine Tote For Mom

It’s a rainy, gloomy day here in North Texas today (and it was yesterday, too). Taking pictures was, quite frankly, frustrating, with no adequate lighting anywhere to be found, so I thought a video tutorial would be the way to go! Have a look at the list of materials needed below, then watch the video to learn how to make what I believe might be the easiest DIY double wine tote ever.

You will need:

Basic Supplies:

1. Rotary cutter
  2. Cutting mat
  3. Ruler
  4. Sewing machine, needle, and thread
  5. Fabric
  6. Batting of some kind

Prepare the following:

1. Two pieces of coordinating fabric cut to 19″ X 23″ (Two fat quarters might work if that is what you have, but will be snug. The wine tote pictured with polka dots on the inside was made with two fat quarters and does fit two normal sized bottles of wine).
  2. One piece of batting cut to the same size as your fabric pieces. I would have preferred to use fusible batting for a small project like this but didn’t have enough left so I used regular quilt batting. Use what you have.
  3. One strip of fabric for the strap. The size I preferred was 5″ X 28″ but you can choose how long you want the strap. I did one with batting in the strap to pad it and one without. I liked the look of the longer, un-padded strap better.
  4. Something to tie a bow around it at the end if you want.

Now have a look at the video below and make a pretty wine tote!

Hope you enjoyed the tutorial! I had fun making the wine tote and the video. Here is an action shot for you! Just imagine I’m heading somewhere fun with that wine tote around my shoulder (imagine it, because currently, I am stuck under two sweet, sleeping children and I’m not going anywhere!

Me toting wine

While we’re talking about gifting wine for Mother’s Day, check out this post that I found over on Smart Party Planning! Put some labels on that wine before you put in your tote!

Mother's Day Wine Labels

How do you feel about gift giving? Does it come easily to you? Do you like to make or buy?

23 Comments on A DIY Double Wine Tote For Mother’s Day

May 8, 2015 at 6:58 PM (1 year ago)

Thank you, Catherine! It is set to be mailed out to my mom so we’ll see how she likes it! Thanks for visiting and commenting!

1. Danielle
    May 8, 2015 at 3:10 PM (1 year ago)

This is actually really awesome! I have some mom friends who would love it! So glad I stopped by from the Confessions of a Ninja Mom link up. Have a great mother’s day.
    Danielle recently posted…I’m Not Here to Make My Kids HappyMy Profile

May 8, 2015 at 3:19 PM (1 year ago)

Hi Danielle! Glad you visited and thank you for your comment! Have a wonderful Mother’s Day, too!

2. Laci Carlson
    May 8, 2015 at 7:58 PM (1 year ago)

Love this and perfect for me cause i have no time for anything !!! Thanks !! #homemattersparty

May 8, 2015 at 8:02 PM (1 year ago)

LOL! That’s where I am coming from! I love easy, SHORT projects that match the amount of time I have and my attention span! Thanks for visiting and commenting!

3. Minh
    May 9, 2015 at 7:28 AM (1 year ago)

Great idea! I always found the paper wine tots such a waste as they get thrown out after one use. This is perfect as it can be re-used again and again and so easy to make. Need to pull out my sewing machine.
    Thanks for sharing on #ConfessionsLinkUp
    Minh recently posted…End of the Week Confessions Link-up – Come Join the Fun!My Profile

May 9, 2015 at 8:25 AM (1 year ago)

Thanks! You’re right those paper ones are definitely a waste, not to mention things made out of fabric are just prettier! Thanks for dropping by and for your comment!

May 9, 2015 at 6:16 PM (1 year ago)

Thanks! I love those wine labels! Such a great personal touch for a gift. So glad you stopped by!

May 10, 2015 at 8:58 AM (1 year ago)

Well done. I like the idea. I love to make gifts to give but I also like to be certain they will enjoy it. I have had a couple of times where I spent hours and saw it discarded soon after. That’s hard to take.

May 10, 2015 at 9:09 AM (1 year ago)

That IS hard to take, Elizabeth! And you’re right that it doesn’t make sense to spend a bunch of time on something for someone if you don’t think they will enjoy it. As a mom, though, I enjoy even the little weeds the doodle pulls up from outside and gives to me thinking they are flowers. I don’t keep them very long and there is nothing I need them for, but they still bring me joy in the moment! Speaking of being a mom: Happy Mother’s Day!

5. Amy Ngai
    May 13, 2015 at 10:10 AM (1 year ago)

How cute is this! What a great idea and a great tutorial! Thanks for sharing #ConfessionsLinkUp
    Amy Ngai recently posted…Turn It Up Tuesday #86My Profile

May 13, 2015 at 10:14 AM (1 year ago)

Thanks, Amy! It was a lot of fun to make, too! Glad you stopped by and always enjoy linking up to your party!

6. Sadia
    May 16, 2015 at 12:21 AM (1 year ago)

What a thoughtful gift! I always prefer to give and receive handmade or experiential gifts to things purchased in a store. I wish I could sew. I have a sewing machine, but we haven’t made it much past initial handshakes.

Thanks for linking with #TwinklyTuesday!
    Sadia recently posted…The Magic of ChildhoodMy Profile

May 18, 2015 at 8:48 PM (1 year ago)

Thanks, Sadia! Maybe you and your sewing machine will get to spend more time together in the future! I had barely been in the same room with a sewing machine prior to this year but I am really loving it now. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

7. Lisa (mummascribbles)
    May 16, 2015 at 3:47 PM (1 year ago)

What a great idea. I think gifts are always so much better recieved when some thought and effort has gone into them, like this clearly has. Gorgeous and thanks for sharing the guide to making! I really must dist off my sewing machine! Thanks so much for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday
    Lisa (mummascribbles) recently posted…The rollercoaster of a toddler meltdownMy Profile

May 16, 2015 at 7:01 PM (1 year ago)

Glad you like it and thanks for dropping by! Always enjoy the #TwinklyTuesday link up!

8. Jill
    May 18, 2015 at 9:15 PM (1 year ago)

Great idea to have a double bottle bag! and I also like the idea of printing your own labels to further personalise the wine gift!

May 18, 2015 at 9:55 PM (1 year ago)

I know! I definitely would have used the printable labels if I was giving the tote to my mom in person with wine it. I had to mail it to her because we are so far away so I didn’t put wine in the tote. They will have to be for next time! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

9. Ashley Perez
    June 12, 2015 at 12:49 PM (1 year ago)

this is what I need.

June 12, 2015 at 8:24 PM (1 year ago)

Make one, Ashley! Then send me pics!

10. Ashley Perez
    June 15, 2015 at 11:51 AM (1 year ago)

I need this.