Maintaining A Healthy DIY State of Mind

The decision to name this website, “No Time For DIY” was not random or accidental.

Today, I am overwhelmed.

I am overwhelmed by:

• The amount of noise my children are making
  • The number of times I have had to clean excrement off of the floor this week
  • The number of hours I have been awake when I should have been asleep
  • The big, red, inexplicable welt on my son’s arm
  • The fact that he STILL refuses to crawl or try to stand AT ALL
  • The mess that is all around me despite numerous interrupted and abandoned attempts to clean it up
  • The fact that it took 45 minutes and 4 password resets for me to pay one bill this morning
  • The number of ideas and projects that are holding court in my brain where normal daily thoughts should reside in order for me to function properly

I simply do not have time for DIY. So why do I do it? Well, sometimes (most of the time, actually), I just don’t. Can you imagine having to DIY everything?

I’ve been thinking about the concept of DIY lately, remembering back to when I first began doing things myself that could have easily been done by someone else. My first real attempt at DIY was baking my own bread from scratch a couple of years ago. I wanted my house to smell delicious and I longed to become more proficient in the kitchen. I love bread (who doesn’t?) so this seemed like a worthy endeavor. After several failed attempts I found a recipe that worked, tasted delicious, and yes, made the house smell amazing. Then something strange happened. My desire to DIY grew. I actually considered buying a wheat grinder so I could grind my own wheat (still considering that – it’s not off the table). I wondered if I could grow my own wheat, then grind it, then bake it. Could I start the process from the very beginning? I had other moms ask me why on earth I would make things that difficult on myself when I could save myself so much time and just go buy some bread at the store. Why, indeed?

I think our world has become so convenient, so accessible, that sometimes we long for that connection to the beginnings of things – the beginnings that we never get to see. Sometimes we just want to say we solved that problem. We met that need. We started from scratch and did it ourselves. But you know what? We didn’t.

We didn’t. We don’t ever. I’ll let you take that and chew on it for a while, but I would be willing to wager a fresh-baked loaf of bread that regardless of your worldview, you can’t argue with it (well, you CAN argue with it, but not convincingly).

DIY is an illusion. It’s an option we think we have that we really don’t, but it’s still fun,and good, and necessary to dig down deeper and get closer to the beginnings of things sometimes. On a day like today, though, when I am so overwhelmed I can barely put a sandwich together myself, let alone bake the bread from scratch, I am so glad I don’t have to go it alone. I am so thankful I have my God, my husband, my parents, my family and friends, my local grocer, my doctor, the farmers who grew my food, and on and on. Individuals weren’t meant to DIY everything and it’s okay not to have time for DIY.

Having a healthy DIY mindset in your life means understanding when and what to try, and what purpose lies behind your attempt. In the spirit of simplicity and ease (with a little touch of DIY) here is an orange creamsicle recipe for you that this overwhelmed mama has been using and enjoying all week.

Ready? DIY Orange Creamsicles:

• Greek yogurt
  • Orange juice
  • Drop of vanilla extract

DSCN0358

• Mix ’em
  • Taste ’em
  • Adjust flavors as needed

DSCN0373

You like it? Freeze it in something. Once frozen, eat it. Congrats! You DIY’d your dessert! (I would totally just have eaten this right out of the bowl without even freezing if I didn’t know my daughter would freak about it not being an actual popsicle.

creamsicle

I got this food blogging thing down! Just kidding. I love you, food bloggers. I don’t know how you do what you do. I often have to abandon my sewing projects and come back to them later with the camera and food bloggers can’t do that. They have to see that thing through to the end right there. Yeesh. Things would get really smelly around here if I were a food blogger.

Despite being overwhelmed, I am very excited about some of the sewing projects I’ve got in the line up for the coming months. Stay tuned!

In the meantime, tell me what you like to DIY and why? Do you have a healthy and balanced DIY mindset?

24 Comments on Maintaining A Healthy DIY State of Mind

May 13, 2015 at 1:46 PM (2 years ago)

Balanced, me, never? At least that’s how I perceive it. However, I do enjoy being closer to the beginnings of things – bread, quilts, food, clothing. That has definitely grown as my kids have gotten old enough that I’m not dealing with the messes you described in today’s blog any more. At 7 and 11, I can tell them, “Mom needs and hour,” and I can almost have it. I want to grow in diligence so that I’m not scurrying at the last minute with things that seemed like a great idea back when there was plenty of time. I’m not even sure that thought made sense, but I often dream big then procrastinate and end up with a mess. Those creamsicles look gooooood. Your description of you as a consistent food blogger cracked me up. :)

May 13, 2015 at 2:13 PM (2 years ago)

Teehee…Even just me as a craft blogger can look pretty funny sometimes. I’ve thought about doing some video of me just attempting to get the crafts done and photographed because I think that in itself might be entertaining to those lightly less um…spastic…folks out there. I try not to wish away these precious days with the kids that I will never get back, but the idea of just telling my kids I need an hour and having them oblige is soooo appealing. I do the same thing: big plans followed by big mess! Also, the creamsicles: really yummy. Both kids eat them up. The boy ate two in a row the other day. We made a strawberry version with fresh strawberries, yogurt, and vanilla, too. The doodle says she prefers the orange. Try them both!

2. Stephanelli
    May 13, 2015 at 6:33 PM (2 years ago)

Balanced? Definitely not. I have all these ideas, I get the materials for it and then when I finally start, I just become obsessed and I have to see it through right to the end as quickly as possible (with or without a camera to document the journey!). Admittedly I don’t have children to fight of my attention…just a (mostly understanding) boyfriend!

I love making things from ‘scratch’, but I appreciate that I just don’t have time for some things. I find one way to get around the problem in my head is to buy local produce to cook with and in terms of crafty bits is to find handmade items to use. Its sometimes more expensive, but its always much better quality!!!

I’m not good on cooking, but I do love sewing, knitting, crochet. I’ve made an aim not to buy any clothes for myself (except ultra-essential items) in 2015, if I want them, I have to make them!

Hope you get some time to make things soon!

May 14, 2015 at 8:20 AM (2 years ago)

Thanks, Stephanelli! Wow, that’s a great goal to have for 2015! I definitely don’t think I could do that yet but it sure would save money. Thanks for stopping by!

3. Kathryn Shirey
    May 14, 2015 at 6:39 AM (2 years ago)

love the creamsicle idea! Will have to try that this summer. Seems like something even I can do! I loved to DIY and sew especially before I had kids, but time is just so limited now. My hats off to you for carrying on – and knowing your limits on those days/weeks when it’s all just too much.
    Kathryn Shirey recently posted…12 Things Truly Faith-Filled People Do DifferentlyMy Profile

May 14, 2015 at 8:22 AM (2 years ago)

I LOVE the easy DIY stuff. I know, I sometimes wish I had wanted to DIY and do these kinds of things before my kids were born because I think I would have a lot more practice under my belt than I do now. Having kids, strangely enough, seemed to fuel my desire to do these things! Thanks for visiting and commenting. Kathryn!

4. Jody @easypeasymom
    May 17, 2015 at 12:55 PM (2 years ago)

I definitely hear what you are saying-I start pinning tons of DIY stuff and then feel totally overwhelmed and frustrated when I don’t have the right supplies or just can’t seem to make it look the way I want. I’ve learned my lesson to stick to very simple DIY! Thanks for the creamsicle recipe, we will definitely be making these soon! Thanks for sharing!
    Jody @easypeasymom recently posted…Dollar Store Organization: 6 Simple Storage IdeasMy Profile

May 18, 2015 at 9:16 AM (2 years ago)

Exactly, Jody! I stick with simple/small things and then try to tackle one bigger thing every once in a while. Hope you like the creamsicles! Thanks for visiting and commenting!

May 17, 2015 at 4:36 PM (2 years ago)

I think keeping a balanced perspecitve is so important and often difficult. I used to think I could get a project done every week for the blog…well, that is not happening, so I just live my life and blogging comes when it comes. Thank you for sharing at Snickerdoodle. Have a great week!
    Elizabeth recently posted…Snickerdoodle Sunday: Teacher AppreciationMy Profile

May 18, 2015 at 9:23 AM (2 years ago)

Definitely, Elizabeth! The blog should be a reflection of a life lived, I think. When life becomes all about getting a post up, that’s probably not so healthy. Thank you for your comment and for hosting the link up!

6. Vickie @Vickie's Kitchen and Garden
    May 18, 2015 at 10:05 AM (2 years ago)

I find that some weeks I can do it all and the next week is chaos. Your so right! That recipe so simple but yet delicious. Can’t wait till I get my Greek Yogurt made in the crockpot. LOL
    Thanks for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty
    Vickie @Vickie’s Kitchen and Garden recently posted…My Goals for this Week 5/18/15My Profile

May 18, 2015 at 11:30 AM (2 years ago)

Absolutely. Sometimes there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the level of chaos but it definitely varies day to day and week to week. Greek yogurt in the crockpot!!!??? Tell me more!

7. Minh
    May 18, 2015 at 2:09 PM (2 years ago)

I have been making my own pasta sauce lately (I do take a bit of a short cut using canned tomatoes) and my daughter loves it. It’s hard to do more of more of this trying to balance a full-time job but I’m trying! Thanks for sharing on #ConfessionsLinkUp
    Minh recently posted…Summer Camps – babysitting or worthwhile?My Profile

May 18, 2015 at 2:23 PM (2 years ago)

I LOVE making my own pasta sauce. And I do the same thing – use canned tomatoes to make it easy. I have a great hand-me-down recipe from my mom. Oh yeah, I remember the days when I was also working full time – hats off to you for doing that and running a blog! I definitely wasn’t doing much DIY then and it was SUCH a balancing act. Thanks for your comment!

8. Mudpie Fridays
    May 19, 2015 at 2:39 PM (2 years ago)

I am a constantly disappointed DIYer :) and can completely relate to this post, I too use to make bread alas that stopped when I became an mum and went back to work. I like the sound of the ice lolly recipe and will be trying that out when the sun comes out! I also love sewing projects so will be back :) x #twinklytuesdays

May 19, 2015 at 2:45 PM (2 years ago)

Yay! Glad to have you here and looking forward to your next visit! I’ve got some cool little sewing projects in the works!

9. Caro | The Twinkles Mama
    May 19, 2015 at 3:51 PM (2 years ago)

HA! I often think Pinterest is the cause for this!!! We see SO many things that we want to try!! Sewing, baking, crochet, upcycling… the list is endless! I have a list as long as my arm. Although I never feel that overwhelmed by it. As long as I manage to do a couple of these projects a year, I’ll be happy! :) Balancing motherhood, a home, a job and everything else means the ‘projects’ will just have to join the queue. Thanks so much for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday

Caro | http://www.thetwinklediaries.co.uk

May 19, 2015 at 4:07 PM (2 years ago)

That is SO TRUE! Pinterest has basically caused us all to think we are falling down on the job occasionally, I think. But then, Pinterest is SO useful, too! I have found some amazing stuff there and now that I blog about my own projects, I love having a place like Pinterest to share them. So…we’ll keep them for now I guess! Thanks for stopping by and commenting and for hosting the link up!

10. Amy Ngai
    May 20, 2015 at 10:04 AM (2 years ago)

What a great post! I often think that I don’t do enough with my hands anymore and with everything so convenient now, I could probably go through life without any DIY ever but there is a something so rewarding about creating something yourself. this has inspired me to do more of that. Thank you for sharing on the #ConfessionsLinkUp
    Amy Ngai recently posted…Turn It Up Tuesday #87My Profile

May 20, 2015 at 11:12 AM (2 years ago)

Thank you, Amy! I never was much of a DIY person for most of my life. I don’t know why, but having kids seems to have brought that desire out for me. It really is a balancing act, though, trying to remember that sometimes it makes more sense to go for convenience and then other times it would be so much better to DIY (for many reasons). Thanks for your comment!

11. Fionnuala
    May 20, 2015 at 4:10 PM (2 years ago)

I know the kind of day you’ve had. Sometimes it is all too much, isn’t it? But on other day you are on al roll and you get a million and one things done. DIY is so fulfilling. From renovating salvaged furniture to baking, cooking and growing my own food, I love it all and do as much as I can. But some days you just have to order pizza and get the kids to bed a.s.a.p.
    Fionnuala recently posted…Hello Cinderella (My Vlogging Premier)My Profile

May 20, 2015 at 4:28 PM (2 years ago)

Exactly, Fionnuala! I haven’t got the hang of growing my own food yet but that is definitely one of the DIY adventures I want to embark on soon. Thanks for visiting and commenting!

12. Jerry Marquardt
    June 24, 2015 at 1:55 AM (2 years ago)

It takes time to grow out of the overwhelmed environment. Thanks so much for the life-like advice.

June 24, 2015 at 7:54 AM (2 years ago)

That’s very true, Jerry. Thank you for visiting and for your comment!