Pattern Review: Sewing Caddy At Sewcanshe.com (and supportive women)

We’re heading to Dallas this weekend to visit family which means I get to hang with my awesome, sewing superstar sister-in-law. She’s the one who got me hooked and continues to fuel this “sewing obsession” fire of mine.

I remember once listening to a lecture about Mary (Mother of Jesus) and Elizabeth (Mother of John the Baptist). This was a few years ago and I wish I could remember who gave the lecture. She talked about their relationship and said that every woman should have an “Elizabeth.” Elizabeth was older and wiser. She was kind, stable and supportive. Well, I have several of them in my life and this lovely woman is one of them (I’ll let you guess her name).

I wanted to make her a gift (we’ll call it a Mother’s Day gift, though I would have done it no matter the season) that was both functional and cute. I also wanted it to match her personality, so when I saw on Facebook a couple of weeks ago that SewCanShe.com was giving away a free pattern for this sewing notion organizer, I snatched it up.

Y’all, if you are even just a little into sewing and you are not following SewCanShe.com on Facebook or in some way, get on that NOW! Her posts are always awesome and she has a TON of patterns and tutorials to check out. I finally got to take a stab at this sewing caddy pattern and tutorial yesterday and finished it up today. It was a quick project. The tutorial was excellent, though not without its challenges for a newbie.

notion organizer tutorial review

Challenge number one was the binding. I don’t know why I was “binding-challenged” today but wow did I have a difficult time getting it to sit right. I’ve made and sewn binding before so it is not as though it was totally foreign to me. I will just give you this word of warning if you tackle this project: take your time and make sure the binding doesn’t bunch up as you sew it. If it does, this could affect the size of the opening and it may not fit onto your can! That would be sad. It didn’t happen to me but I was imagining it might as I fussed with the binding.

Challenge number two wasn’t really a challenge. I just had never done pleats on anything before and the tutorial calls for them. No biggie. She did a great job of illustrating in the picture and explaining what needed to happen and why.

Challenge number three was a lack of materials. The pattern calls for fusible fleece AND fusible interfacing. I had the interfacing but not the fleece. I am in a very rural area right now. I drove into neighboring towns a half hour to both sides of me and neither one had any fusible fleece, so I used felt. I just attached the felt onto the fabric it should have been “fused” to by sewing 1/4 inch seams all around the edges. It seemed to work fairly well but definitely would have been easier with the right materials.

Below is the evolution of my work on the project. Starting at the top left with cutting the pieces and following the pictures to the right all the way around to get the finished project, you can see how it all came together.

Sewing notion can organizer

I cannot WAIT to give this to my sister-in-law and now I am considering making one for myself. Oh, and random perk: I have a whole bunch of tomato sauce made and frozen thanks to this project, too!

Do you have a supportive, kind, and wise “Elizabeth” in your life? Tell me about her! Do you think it is important to cultivate that kind of relationship?

25 Comments on Pattern Review: Sewing Caddy At Sewcanshe.com (and supportive women)

May 16, 2015 at 11:09 AM (2 years ago)

Feeling loved! Thank you for the gift and the tribute. How did you know I outgrew my tool caddy? I need to check out Sewcanshe. And I definitely have a “Elizabeths” of my own. So thankful to th Lord for them :)

May 16, 2015 at 6:58 PM (2 years ago)

:) Hope you like it! Thank you for the plethora of patterns. Next doodle dress is being kicked around in my head!

• Elizabeth
        May 18, 2015 at 6:25 PM (2 years ago)

I really do like it! It has gotten a workout with these award quilts. Thank you so much :)

2. Maria@SewTravelInspired
    May 17, 2015 at 6:52 PM (2 years ago)

I have downloaded this pattern and I intend to make it for a BD present for a sewist friend. Thanks for the pattern review.

May 18, 2015 at 9:25 AM (2 years ago)

You’re welcome, Maria! I love the stuff over at SewCanShe. I hope your friend likes it! My sister-in-law did. It’s already in her sewing room filled with stuff!

May 18, 2015 at 1:16 PM (2 years ago)

Thank you! I have a bunch more of those fabrics because my daughter wants a dress out of them. She apparently has fantastic taste in fabric! I can’t wait to do that one!

3. Bonnie
    May 18, 2015 at 7:51 PM (2 years ago)

I love the way the caddy turned out. I’ve been wanting to make one of these. I would love for you to link up your sewing project at the Stitch It, Blog It, Share It Link Party going on now at BehindtheSeamsSewing.com.
    Bonnie recently posted…Stitch It, Blog It, Share It Link Party #2My Profile

May 18, 2015 at 8:32 PM (2 years ago)

Thanks, Bonnie! Glad you like it. I’ll head over to check out your party now!

4. Torry
    May 19, 2015 at 1:23 AM (2 years ago)

I had an “Elizabeth” named Virginia when I was a young mother. She sewed like a dream. I used to say that my daughter (Elizabeth, in an astonishing coincidence) had a fairy godmother who used a needle instead of a wand.
    One year I decided to sew a gift for her. I worried about it because Virginia sewed circles around everyone I knew. But I made it and gave it to her. She cried. She said that because she sewed so well and so much, no ever made her a gift. She made gifts for everyone and had NEVER had a homemade gift!

I learned a valuable lesson about doing your best, but don’t wait until you or your sewing are perfect. My friend was called home before anyone expected it.

Thank you for sharing your gift with us. Thank you for the trip done memory lane.

May 19, 2015 at 9:41 AM (2 years ago)

What a beautiful testament to a friend. I am sorry you lost your “Elizabeth” unexpectedly but thank you so much for sharing. I did get a tad nervous when I was making the caddy, that my “Elizabeth” would see all the little mistakes and that there would be glaring “beginner” signs all over it, which might be the case, but I’m still glad to have made it for her! Thank you so much for reading and for your comment. Glad to have had you here!

5. Torry
    May 19, 2015 at 1:26 AM (2 years ago)

“Down” not done! I do know how to spell!

May 19, 2015 at 9:42 AM (2 years ago)

LOL! I hadn’t even noticed that until you left this comment!

6. Kirsten Toyne
    May 19, 2015 at 11:10 AM (2 years ago)

This looks super cool. I can see that it would have many uses and in fact imagine that my children would hijack that from me because they love things with a variety of sections.
    Kirsten Toyne recently posted…What do you do? I’m a mumMy Profile

May 19, 2015 at 12:49 PM (2 years ago)

Oh yes, my four year old was eyeing it before we gave it to my sister-in-law! She really liked the fabrics and wants a dress from them, too, so she was feeling conflicted about giving it away I think! Thanks for visiting and commenting!

7. Sadia
    May 20, 2015 at 9:42 PM (2 years ago)

How beautiful! I have a number of surrogate mother figures, but no one I would think of a big sister mentor. I’ve been planning to learn how to sew for YEARS now. I’ve made it all the way to straight seams. Yeah.

Thanks for linking up your gorgeous project at #TwinklyTuesday.

May 22, 2015 at 5:02 PM (2 years ago)

Thanks! Ans thank you for stopping by and commenting!

8. Melinda
    May 22, 2015 at 9:43 PM (2 years ago)

Here from #HomeMattersParty.
    “Sew” cute!
    Melinda recently posted…Bucket BetideMy Profile

9. Lorelai @ Life With Lorelai
    May 23, 2015 at 2:48 AM (2 years ago)

What a cute little sewing caddy. It could be handy for so many things. Thanks for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty – we’re looking forward to what you have to share next week. :)

~Lorelai
    Life With Lorelai
    Lorelai @ Life With Lorelai recently posted…Home Matters Linky Party #38My Profile

May 23, 2015 at 10:31 AM (2 years ago)

Thanks, Lorelai! It really is a great little organizing tool! Always love partying with you!

10. Amy Ngai
    May 27, 2015 at 12:00 PM (2 years ago)

What a great idea. I don’t sew much but I have all my sewing stuff all over the place. I always end up going to buy more because I could never find anything.Thanks for sharing. #ConfessionsLinkUp
    Amy Ngai recently posted…Turn It Up Tuesday #88My Profile

May 27, 2015 at 5:05 PM (2 years ago)

I do that, too! I try to stay organized but at some point I always end up with more of something than I needed because I didn’t know where it was in the first place!

June 2, 2015 at 6:03 PM (2 years ago)

Thank you, Raquel! So glad you like it! My “Elizabeth” seemed to like it, too! I’m considering making another one for myself now but it’s on a long list of projects so we’ll see when it finally gets done! Thanks for visiting and commenting!